Go to footer

Skip to content

flag's moderation policy

No-particular-theme discussion board.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

Re: flag's moderation policy

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 pm

otherguest is right, it would require going into the database; but that's not at all difficult. whoever has access to the server can do it with e.g phpmyadmin, with no more difficulty than if tli were editing his own post. usernames are simply mysql fields.

Postby dinsdale » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Guest wrote:otherguest is right, it would require going into the database; but that's not at all difficult. whoever has access to the server can do it with e.g phpmyadmin, with no more difficulty than if tli were editing his own post. usernames are simply mysql fields.

More to the point, why does a user want a name change? People who come and go here would be going, "so who's this Susan when she's at home then?" not realizing it's their old friend Mr. Smeghead with a new moniker. I offer that only as an example of the countless issues attending this draconian knees bent do-over impulse.
dinsdale

Postby Zazaban » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:40 pm

How, pray tell, is changing one's name draconian?
"I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood."
~ Oscar Wilde
"Greed in its fullest sense is the only possible basis of communist society."
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby AndyMalroes » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 am

It really can't be that hard, There's a box to do it, all you would need to do is allow that.

knees bent do-over impulse.

and more to the point zaz, how is wanting anal sex draconian?
How long do you think we can have a free and democratic society if we insist on maintaining totalitarian systems in our companies? We must have freedom for individuals and organizations to grow and to realize their potentials.
(Delmar Landen, Head of Organisational Development at General Motors, 1981)
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Zazaban » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:32 am

Ah, it relates to the homosexualist agenda to convert all our youth into gay camsluts. Which would suit me fine.
"I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood."
~ Oscar Wilde
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby AndyMalroes » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:28 am

Awwww Yeah!!!!
How long do you think we can have a free and democratic society if we insist on maintaining totalitarian systems in our companies? We must have freedom for individuals and organizations to grow and to realize their potentials.
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby dinsdale » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm

AndyMalroes wrote:It really can't be that hard, There's a box to do it, all you would need to do is allow that.

knees bent do-over impulse.

and more to the point zaz, how is wanting anal sex draconian?

I mentioned the reasons why it can't be done. A global change is not on as it requires going into the database. What you're suggesting would create two or more identities depending on how often an user requests a change. This wouldn't be fair to those who are not regular denizens or zen masters here. They could become disorientated and might fall off a cliff or something.
dinsdale

Postby AndyMalroes » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:30 pm

It worked fine at (dare I say) dissident Philosophy Forums *shudders*

What you're suggesting would create two or more identities depending on how often an user requests a change.

How come avatar's change on all previous posts, wouldn't it be the same type of thing?
AndyMalroes
Zen Master

Postby Zazaban » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Yep. Once you change a name, all previous posts change too.
~ Oscar Wilde
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:32 pm

only problem would be old conversations where people refer to 'thelastindividual' or 'tli'. would confuse those who weren't aware of the name change.

Postby Zazaban » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 am

It's not hard to deduce, really.
~ Oscar Wilde
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby dinsdale » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 am

Guest wrote:only problem would be old conversations where people refer to 'thelastindividual' or 'tli'. would confuse those who weren't aware of the name change.

Precisely. That and the database issue. All previous posts would have the user's previous id. All new posts would have the user's newest id. And note the word newest. There's no reason this request would not be made again by the same user and/or by others.
dinsdale

Postby Zazaban » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:15 am

dinsdale wrote:
Guest wrote:only problem would be old conversations where people refer to 'thelastindividual' or 'tli'. would confuse those who weren't aware of the name change.

Precisely. That and the database issue. All previous posts would have the user's previous id. All new posts would have the user's newest id. And note the word newest. There's no reason this request would not be made again by the same user and/or by others.

No, all previous posts would have the user's new ID.
~ Oscar Wilde
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:29 am

'All previous posts would have the user's previous id.'

no.

'No, all previous posts would have the user's new ID.'

yes.

i was talking about people addressing a username in posts, like so:

'thelastindividual is a psychotic right-winger and proto-nazi' (just kidding, don't worry)

if he changes his username to 'awesomeguy', this post will remain, and anyone reading it in the future won't realize that the 'awesomeguy' they've been chatting with is the infamous proto-nazi.

Postby Zazaban » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Generally, it's not actually very hard to tell if you read the whole conversation. There's usually a ton of quoting in situations where that comes up, or at least some kind of back and forth.
~ Oscar Wilde
~ The Right to Be Greedy
Zazaban
Zen Master

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion