Go to footer

Skip to content

Anarkos -- Anarchist Documentary Project

No-particular-theme discussion board.

Moderators: Yarrow, Yuda, Canteloupe

Anarkos -- Anarchist Documentary Project

Postby Scott Noble » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello,

This is Scott Noble writing. I am a documentary filmmaker and member of the Anarkos media collective.

We are in the process of creating a multi-part, non-profit documentary series on anarchism. It will be a collaborative effort involving potentially dozens of different groups.

We recently created a crowd-funding page on Indiegogo, which can be viewed here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Anarkos

At that link you can watch 20 minute short film I created to support the project; the film also serves as a brief introduction to anarchism. It's a little heavy with aging white males, but the series itself will contain a multitude of diverse voices.

Approximately ten percent of the interviews have already been conducted. Among those interviewed so far are Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn (interview conducted a few months before his passing), Russell Means (Oglala Sioux Activist), John Trudell (Poet; Activist, American Indian Movement), Sharon Smith (A History of Working Class Radicalism), Glen Ford (Black Agenda Report), Alfie Kohn (No Contest: The Case Against Competition; Unconditional Parenting), Carole Pateman (The Sexual Contract) and others.

Among those who have so far agreed to be interviewed for the series in future: Martha Ackelsberg (Free Women of Spain); Allan Antliff (Anarchy and Art); Harold Barclay (People Without Government); Peter Coyote; Chris Ealham (Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Spain); Douglas Fry (The Human Potential for Peace -- An Anthropological Challenge to Assumptions about War and Violence); Ruth Kinna (Anarchism - A Beginner's Guide);

Peter Marshall (A History of Anarchism); Mark Leier (Bakunin; Rebel Life - The Wobblies); Harold Pepinsky (Crime and Conflict; Geometry of Violence and Democracy); Judith Suissa (Anarchism and Education); Kristian Williams (Our Enemies in Blue -- Police and Power in America); Joseph Zornado (Inventing the Child)...and others.

Ultimately we intend to showcase an even balance of "scholars in front of bookshelves" and "everyday activists" working on the ground to create a better world. By the same token, the series will explore not only the history of anti-authoritarian movements and philosophy but current positive models.

Also at the link is a detailed and evolving outline (which will become more refined over time, through collective process). Although we had originally planned for a single feature-length documentary on anarchism, we ultimately decided to do the subject proper justice and aim for a highly expansive, multi-part series.

We are now in the process of reaching out to fellow anarchists for support.

The crowd-funding model provides an alternative to corporate/foundation backing, which would have been impossible (and undesirable) to begin with, and is based on the premise that many small donations add up to large ones.

In essence, we are hoping that a whole bunch of anarchists will donate a few bucks. Even if it's literally a few bucks it will be appreciated and aid us in our cause. There are "perks" available in the form of eg a DVD for the first entry. We also encourage maximize participation, and have created the website Anarkos.info to serve as a forum for everyone who is interested in becoming part of the process.

The last crowd-funding effort for an anarchist documentary only achieved around $1000. We have already tripled that, and believe that Anarkos presents one of the first real opportunities to create a truly in-depth documentary treatment of anarchism, but we have a long way to go if we are to reach our goal. If we are to make this happen, we will need a lot of help from a lot of people.

Thank you.

Scott Noble

P.S. Because I am in the middle of an email campaign I may not have much time to respond to questions/criticisms, but I'll do the best i can.
Scott Noble

Return to Board index

Return to General Discussion