Liberty for the People
Texts concerning the goal of liberty and freedom for the working class
[Frequently Asked Questions] file Web-Page. Also here.
Anarchist Mailing Lists - Join one today!
A Searchable Index of
anarchist web pages.
Join the IWW!
The following consist of electronic texts relevent to libertarian socialist /
anarchist theory, philosophy, organising, & history. Unlike many
simmilar pages, this page is not simply a collection of links to other
sites. Highlighted links denote local material. Because this page
may someday move, please copy articles over to your own web space
for your own use rather than linking directly to them at this site. Feel
free to link to this home page, however.
These are specific definitions of working-class oriented libertarian
theories and goals:
- Libertarian Socialism, a basic
- "Libertarian Socialism", an article from the Swedish SAC.
- "'Libertarians' - What's in a Word?",
article from "ANARCHY! Northeast Libertarian Broadsheet" (from England),
about the word "Libertarian".
- Defining Anarchism, by Jason Justice
- Misconceptions of Anarchism, by Sam Dolgoff
Socialism: Anarchism, by Mikhail Bakunin
Peter Kropotkin's definition from The Encyclopaedia Britannica,
1910. This is generally considered the de facto definition.
- "Anarchism: A Matter of Words", by Daniel Guerin
Guerin offers the explanation of where the words "anarchy" and
"libertarian" origionaly came from.
What it Really Stands for", by Emma Goldman.
- "The Working Class": what is it? Who is part of it?
The material rewards for labor over time
- Defining Neoliberalism
- What is Anarcho-Syndicalism
by Rudolf Rocker
- An Opinionated Definition of Syndicalism, by Mike Lepore
- Anarchism as defined by Grolier's Electronic
- What Is Anarchism? from the
Workers Soliderity Movement (WSM)
- Peter Kropotkin's Anarchist Communism, by Jon Bekken
- What is Communist Anarchism?, by Alexander
- "Notes on Anarchism: For Reasons of State", by Noam Chomsky
- Syndicalism, its strengths & weaknesses, by the WSM
- Origin of
the Circle-A Symbol
- What's this with a black cat & a wooden shoe?
What do they have to do with anarchy?
- Anarchism and the History of the Black Flag
- How did the black flag become an
anarchist symbol? What about the black & red flag?
You Ever Wanted To Know About Anarchy (But Were Afraid To Ask)
- Why Mayday?
- Mayday--The Real
- IWW FAQ
- Sebastien Faure (1858-1942), An Original Libertarian
- Guy Aldred (1886-1963): The Socialist as Libertarian - written by a right-wing libertarian!
- Luigi Galleani (1861-1931), Italian Anarchist
- Basic Bakunin - A great intro to Bakunin.
and Anarchism, by L. Gambone - a must read!
Marxism?, by Daniel Guerin - still needs to be cleaned up, but readable.
- Articles on Freedom and Anarchy -
Includes Johann Most's "The Beast of Property" and Arturo Giovannitti's "Sabotage".
These texts address issues relevent to the modern anarchist/libertarian
- "Libertarianism: Bogus Anarchy", by Peter Sabatini
Sabatini clears up the confusion within the debate of libertarian
socialist theory and non-capitalist Individualism vs. modern right-wing
pro-capitalist perversions of libertarian & individualist theory and
philosophy. Explains why Ayn Rand was no Max Stirner, and Murray Rothbard
no Benjamin Tucker.
Rand and the Perversion of Libertarianism
- "The Tyranny of Structurelessness", by Jo
An invaluable document detailing the limits of consensus-based organizing
and the elite & tyrannical structures which develop within informal,
- "What is Communality: The Democratic Dimension
of Anarchism", by Murray Bookchin
A in-depth summery of the internal problems within the anarchist and
left-libertarian movement today, as well as the limits of the value of
consensus and extrenious emphasis on individuals vs. groups. Includes
criticism of Hakim Bey and "chaos based" forms of modern anarchism.
Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism: An Unbridgeable Chasm, by Murray
Bookchin takes his critique of "lifestyle" anarchism a step further.
- Why I wrote a Fake Hakim Bey Book, by Luther Blissett
- Albert Meltzer on
About how liberals attack or steal the
ideas of anarchists.
- Individualism vs. Individualism, by Laure
An explanation of the (moral) individualist anarchism of
figures such as Benjamin Tucker, Josiah Warren, etc.
and Organization, by Errico Malatesta
Bolsheviks and Workers Control", by Maurice Brinton
A remarkable pamphlet exposing the struggle that took place over
the running of workplaces in the immediate aftermath of the Russian
- "Toward a Libertarian Socialism", by Chris Faatz
- George Walford on Anarcho-Capitalism
- Noam Chomsky on Anarcho-Capitalism
- "An Anarchist Manifesto", by
- "What is Anarchism? What is
Anarcho-Syndicalism?", by Jeremy Dixon
- "Direct Action", by Sparrow
- Anarchist Revolution, by Joe Black of the WSM
- Anarchism to-day, by Andrew Flood of the WSM
- Between Anarchism and Libertarianism: Defining a New Movement,
by Jeff Draughn
Explains the difference between classical anarchists/libertarians, and
the recent "Libertarian Party" capitalists
- The New Right and Anarcho-capitalism, by Peter Marshall
Marshall explains the recent phenomenon of "anarcho-capitalism",
it's origions, and the capitalist roots of the American "Libertarian
Party", shedding doubt on their relation to actual anarchism or liberty
Libertarian as Conservative, by Bob Black
Explains how Libertarian Party types are no different from Republicans.
- Anarchism and Power, by Ron Carrier
- Anarchism and Capitalism, by Andrew Flood
Also titled "Anarchism Hates Capitalism", an excellent summerization of
the sad state of the U.S. libertarian movement's orientation in the early 1990s.
Against Capitalism, from the Irish WSM's "Red and Black Revolution".
- Noam Chomsky Interview on Pozner/Donahue in
Noam talks about Anarchism, vs. the pro-capitalist US Libertarian Party.
Anarchist Cookbook and the Unabomber, from Spunk Press
This web page gives some perspectives on what the so-called
"Anarchist Cookbook" and the "Unabomber" have to do with actual
- The Environment and Animal Rights, by the WSM
A "Bookchin-esque" rational and logical approach to the issue of the
environment and animal rights. (Some ecological anarchists may hold a
- Sandino's Example for Today, by Alejandro
Augusto Cesar Sandino, national hero of Nicaragua held libertarian
socialist, anarchosyndicalist ideals.
- The Relevance of Anarchism To Modern Society, by Sam Dolgoff
- Noam Chomsky on
Anarchism, Marxism & Hope for the Future
An interview by the WSM
Freedom and the State, by K. J. Kenafick
- The Labor Party Illusion, by Sam
A strong argument for opposition to political parties.
- "The Victors", by Noam Chomsky
- Anarchists in Israel, by Sam
Isreali anarchism in the mid-1980's.
- Anarchism and
American Traditions, by Voltairine de Cleyre.
- Book Review of
"Anarchism", by Daniel Guerin. Review by the WSM.
Recently right-wing, pro-free market capitalists (who call themselves
"anarcho"-capitalists) have started to attack anarchism and in particular
the Spanish anarchists and their role in the Spanish Revolution/Civil War.
Here we present some replies to their attacks.
(Left) Libertarian Organisational Platforms and Principles
Libertarian Socialist organizations have been around for more than a
hundred years and here are just some of the various organizations'
statements of principles.
Libertarian Societies and Experiances in the Real World
Questioning & Resisting Authority
- Civil Disobediance, by Henry David
Expresses the duty of every person to oppose illegitimate authority.
- No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority,
by Lysander Spooner
Spooner expresses how ridiculous the concept "treason against the state"
is, with respect to the fact that the Constitution, and even laws,
are merely words on paper that we agree to, and it remains neccesary
to always question such rules and laws to confirm that their validity is
still current to present conditions. (Obviously, if the constitution serves
the interests of the property-owning class, then those without property
have reason to question the validity of the constitution.)
- Natural Law, by Lysander Spooner
Spooner describes the natural morality that humans should abide by
in order to live together in harmony and also condemns the exploitation
of man by man that violates these natural laws.
Ego and It's Own, by Max Stirner
Action, by Voltairine De Cleyre
- Sabotage, by Elizabeth Gurley Flynn
- Patriotism versus Liberty, by Emma
Web Pages of a Libertarian/Anti-Authoritarian Nature
Note: While many of these web sites listed below
focus on real anarchism, there are some that contain a few texts
advocating "drug culture", lifestylism, and even some
absurdities such as the Unabomber Manifesto &
the "anti-work" ideology of certain "slacker" types.
Since this web site is not representative of a specific
organisation, it should be made clear that such controvertial
articles represent the ideas (or misconceptions) of a few
isolated individuals, and not the anarchist movement as a whole.
- Anarcho-Syndicalist Review
- A great publication dedicated to anarchosyndicalism, formerly
"Libertarian Labor Review".
- Spunk Press -
An archive of a lot of material, also available here, also here.
- Prominent Anarchists and
Anarchist/anti-authoritarians biographies & pictures
Archives - Dana Ward's excellent archive of historical anarchist
Anarchism - Anarchism & Anarcho-Syndicalism in the
Anarchism - Anarcho-Syndicalism & the Spanish Civil War. Also see the
Buenaventura Durruti page, with libertarian
Anarchism - The supression of the Anarchist movement in Cuba
Anarchism - China's significant anarchist history &
- Lorenzo Komboa Ervin
- Lorenzo Kom'boa
Ervin Australian Solidarity Page
- Greek anarchist weekly newsletter.
- Australian Anarchism and
- The Anarchy Organization (TAO)
AKA The Media Collective
- Believes that true freedom is being lost in capitalist society.
- Portland Anarchist Web Page - Lots of
links to other good sites!
- Mid-Atlantic Infoshop
- an "online" infoshop. Contains some good material but also some rather embaressing
stuff (anti-work, "TAZ", unabomber manifesto, etc).. the list of links
and articles contains some excellent info, however. The same person
- Anarchist Image Archive - lots of
great scanned images and illustrations!
- Anarchism and Revolution Page
- more useful information and essays. Also found here.
- Anarchie/Anarchy -
an anarchy site in Belgium.
- Anarchism for Anybody
- For an anarchism that would benefit the most people.
- Anarchy Now!
- A very good page with decent anarchist resources.
- tierra y libertad -
English & Spanish web site.
- Anarchism and
Irish Politics - Some of the best anarchist news & views online.
Anarchist Publications - More of the above.
- Anarchist Groups of New
York - A page that includes Neither East Nor West's On Gogol
Boulevard and also the Workers Soliderity Alliance.
- Anarchist Groups of Québec
- Jura Books
Collective - In Sydney, Australia
- Cat@lyst Mindstation - In Sydney, Australia
- Collectif libertaire la
Commune - A very good French anarchist page, includes a link for Fédération Anarchiste
- @net - A general page on
anarchism in Australia.
- El kiosko libertario - "The Libertarian Kiosk", a Spanish web page.
- Tant de liberté - French anarchist Web page, includes
play list for
Libertaire. And here is a
that station (also available in
- The database on german
speaking anarchism (DadA) - The English version of the main page.
Libertarian - Links for Libertarian Socialists/Anarchists all over
101 - A great introduction to anarcho-syndicalism!
- Information About
Anarchism - A great web site!
- Ediciones Antorcha - Anarchist Books in
Spanish available by mail-order.
- Centro Social Libertario - From Spain.
Includes the essay "Everything
You Ever Wanted To Know About Anarchy (But Were Afraid To Ask)"
Against Band-Aid Liberals
im Internet - A German anarchist web page.
- Internet Anarchist University
- The Actual Anarchist
Homepage - A response to right-wing phony anarchist "anarcho-capitalist" web pages.
- O Anarquismo em
Portugal - An Anarchist site in Portugal. If this link doesnt work try
Library - Some nice transcribed articles.
- Centro Sociale Anarchico - An Italian page.
- EDIZIONI DEL MATESE - Publishes anarchist books in Italian.
- Anarquismo - A site from Brazil.
Lucy Parsons Center Bookstore - In Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Left Bank Distribution
- provides wholesale distribution of radical & anarchist books, pamphlets & magazines.
- AK Press &
Distribution - a great publisher of radical books!
- Blackout Books: Anarchist
Politics and Culture
- The Anarchy Awards -
The Award you can give to yourself!
- The Anarchy
Award - Another award page - this one on a judgemental basis.
- The Shadow -
anarchistic publication from New York city.
Sampler - a nice compact anarchist page.
- Anarchist Study
- Biblioteca Franco
Serantini - a (Italian text) library established in the memory of Franco
Serantini, a young anarchist who died in jail in Pisa, unassisted, by wounds
after a clash with the police who protected a fascist meeting (5-7th of May,
Now - An anarchist page from Israel.
- De Nar - "The Fool".
Anarchist publication in Flemish (From Belgium).
- Platformism and
the International Anarchist Movement
- Red Flag, Black Flag
- Freedom Press International
- The Noam Chomsky Archive
- Utopia -
Labour Studies Organization Index
- Voice of Anarcho
Pacifism - Another Czech page.
- Libertare Liga -
Austrian web page.
- Critiques of
Libertarianism - A web page set up by a liberal, critiquing
- Agorist Institute Home Page -
just to make things more confusing, here's some "left libertarians" who
support the free market but dislike the Libertarian Party. They claim to
be "left" but basicaly support capitalism. Go figure.
- Raze the Walls! -
A small anarchist group
Zuzena Basque anarchist web page.
- Repression Against
- Anarchist Propaganda
Archives - A place to get distributable texts.
Internet Anti-Fascist - very interesting reading!
- GERMINAL-UNA PAGINA DE CULTURA LIBERTARIA Y ANARQUISMO
- Spanish libertarian page.
- The Meltzer Press
- Communist Anarchy
- MORE WEB PAGE LINKS
Specifically Libertarian Socialist Web Pages
Libertarian Organisations Around the World
(innacurately) accesses since Tue Jun 18 07:44:26 EDT 1996.Questions, comments or additions go to:
jah AT iww.org, Last update: