2. The SWP portray Trotsky as supporting "workers' democracy" against Stalinism. What was unusual about his position?
3. The SWP point to the Spanish Revolution of 1936 to prove anarchism is flawed. What was Trotsky's advice to the Spanish workers?
4. Churchill infamously wanted to gas rebels in Iraq in the 1920s. Which equally famous politician wanted to do the same to rebel workers in Russia around the same time?
1. No. He was clear that "the organisational principle of revolutionary Social-Democracy" was to "proceed from the top downward." It was "opportunist Social-Democracy" which strove "to proceed from the bottom upward" (the "overzealous" carried this "to the point of anarchism").
2. He redefined "workers' democracy" to mean "democracy within the party" while supporting party dictatorship. 1923 saw him argue that the "dictatorship of the Party" did "not require revision." In 1927, it was a case of "the Leninist principle, inviolable for every Bolshevik, that the dictatorship of the proletariat is and can be realised only through the dictatorship of the party."The 1930s saw similar comments.
3. He argued that "because the leaders of the CNT renounced dictatorship for themselves they left the place open for the Stalinist dictatorship." This was because the "dictatorship of a proletarian party" was an "objective necessity." So much for "workers' power."
4. Trotsky. He planned to use poison gas against the Kronstadt rebels revolting for soviet democracy in 1921 if conventional warfare failed.
The State or Revolution
An anarchist answer to Lenin, written for Marxism 2003
The SWP versus Anarchism
Here are a few quotes from Pat Stack's Socialist Review article "Anarchy in the UK?" which formed the basis of his talk at Marxism 2001. Ask yourself why the SWP leadership systematically lies about anarchism.
Lenin, History's "Hidden Democrat,"
Stright form the horses mouth
Anarcho-Quiz on the SWP
Test your knowledge
What is Anarchism?
There is an alternative to Leninism's state capitalism and party power. It is called anarchism, a socialism which places freedom and working class management of society at the core of its vision of struggle, revolution and socialism.
Another world is possible?
Under capitalism, 8 people make life and death decisions for millions. Under Bolshevism, 19 people made them